Thursday, October 15, 2009

Reflection on Dr. Bernie Dodge video - WebQuest: the Pitfalls

Dr Dodge's short discussion has some excellent points to make. I agree that one of the first questions that needs to be asked is whether or not this is an appropriate subject for a webquest. Many of the quests found online are nothing more than activities meant to keep students busy digging up and spitting back facts that they could easily find in their textbooks. Its a shame that the webquest is often a tool used to give a teacher a break from teaching for a day.
I was most impressed by Dr Dodge's development of his own three level taxonomy. I liked the words he used for the highest levels of learning: "Create, Predict, Decide." If you can get students to that level, it is a really useful experience. I do not agree that that is the only learning objectives that are good uses for a webquest though. I also would like to see the idea of synthesis listed as a higher learning objective. Students are often bombarded with information from all sides. It is important to teach them to bring different sources together to form a deeper understanding that may not exist in their sources.
The one topic that I disagreed with was Dr Dodge's ascertion that you know you have done well when each student has a different response. I see this as a valid perception with older, more mature students. As a college professor and possibly as a high school teacher, you can hope for that time of intellectual growth. My experience is that most middle school students are not to that point in their ability to learn. They are still focused on their being a right and wrong answer. SOme of my best simulation and role playing lesson end with reflections where students have to oportunity to show insight beyond the simple role they played. I am usually thrilled if 4-5 of my hundred plus students actually go beyond telling me what happened to explaining why. It doesn't mean whe don't try but I think its important to understand where in the learning curve students are.

1 comment:

  1. I think in order for one to "create, predict and/or decide" synthesis has to take place. This is why Bernie chooses those as his magic "levels of learning". I like the point your make about middle school students is a strong one as they are so tied into peer pressure and pleasing their teachers. This coming from a teacher doesn't surprise me. Isn't it amazing how different theory and practice can be?

    ReplyDelete