Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Challenging Students and Ourselves with Bloom's Taxonomy

Bloom's Taxonomy and the ideas it presents for education are not a new concept to me. In fact, it was an old concept that I had somewhat pushed aside as old news. I understood the basics of the different levels of learning and had moved on to some of the more recent educational raves such as the 9 learning styles, etc. What did surprise me was that Bloom's now encompasses 3 different realms of learning. I knew the cognative levels and felt comfortable with them. The addition of the Affective (Feelings) and Psycho-Motor (physical) models is something new for me at least and something that I would like to look into further as I grow as an educator. I think that these are a huge addition to Bloom's model, and may be the stepping point for addressing students with other learning styles.
Blooms is designed to help us challenge our students but I also recognize that it challenges us as teachers even more. It is easier to prepare lessons that simply address Knowledge, Understanding, or even Application. Moving into higher realms is a lot more work. When you add in the need for differentiated instruction, basic skills work, and multiple intelligences; it is often far to easy to remain at the lower levels of learning. I find that even when I get to the higher levels of learning, I tend to find a spot that I am comfortable with and tend to teach from that realm. I am big on synthesis. I like my students to be able to take information from multiple sources and or views and use those sources to create an opinion or view that is their own. Again this is a comfort zone way of teaching for me. This is a process that I am comfortable with and one that I find I can easily write lessons to challenge my students. But there are other goals and skills that they need to learn.
I guess my last thought for today is that one of the other challenges we face as educators is which model for improving education we are going to follow. I have been at the middle school for almost 6 years now. In that time we have had 4 educational focuses each trying to meed student needs a different way. By the time we start to get a handle on one way to do things better, we are off tackling something different. Its not like the ideas are exclusive... but you only have so much time to rework lessons each time you teach them. As a software engineer, I understood rapid changes in technology and development tools. But teaching and reaching students is more that swapping in a faster set of hardware or a new programming language. To use an old software phrase, maybe its time for the world of education to stop looking for the "Silver Bullet" to slay our problems. Maybe its time to just take the time to really implement what we know. But then how would people revolutionize teaching and make a name for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment